Sunday, June 5, 2011

Team Nicholas Cage and my Favorite Church - Friday 6/3

Friday was a day of crowds and travel. Waking early, we made our way to the Vatican Museums – not of course without taking the wrong bus and walking on the way. When we arrived at the plaza, our group was to present once more on site. Jordy, Jordan, Alissa and I appointed ourselves Team Nicholas Cage, and enthusiastically presented in the crowded piazza.

Shortly after we were finished, we headed past the portico and around to the museum, witnessing the long lines in horror. Being a group tour, we were thankfully let right in, and funneled into the museum after the short bathroom break. We headed out to a courtyard before beginning our individual visits, convening to witness the giant pinecone. Many thought it to have sat atop the Pantheon at one time, though it is far too small to cap the dome.

After this, we were let free to roam the museum. Me and a few others wandered towards the ancient galleries, snapping shots of states and such. For now, the floors were relatively clear. But as soon as we moved into the smaller galleries, through the map room and towards the Sistine chapel, it got much more crowded. We lost several members of our small group along the way, and soon enough, were doing our best to rush and weave to get to the chapel. Forcing us to go through many galleries on the way, it was hard to appreciate much when trying to just get to the chapel. Seeing the School of Athens was nostalgic, though I could only take a few crappy shots before being hustled away in fear of losing my friends.


Everyone couldn’t wait to get out of the chapel by the time we were in it, and we hurried out – though now our group dwindled to me, Alissa, and Melissa. Accidentally coming out the wrong exit, we found ourselves above the line to climb the dome. Packed with people, I was glad my climb had been much less packed! Deciding to leave, we set off for St. Johns for some time, wondering if others would show up.

When we returned, many had been there waiting, and several others still weren’t back yet. We had been planning to go to several places after the Vatican, but found ourselves weary. When Alissa tired, I left with Melissa to head off to the Jesuit church, gathering my wits to take a journey to my favorite church, as well as purchase my much-wanted Colosseum ring along the way. Though the hike ended up being much longer thanks to blocked roads and construction, we climbed hills in the sweltering sun around the forums until I climbed the Capitoline – feeling my ring by now was much deserved.

I purchased it as fast as I could before heading down, and locating the church, not all too far from where we were. Entering the dark, elaborate church, I remembered why I loved it so much. Melissa needed another solo visit entry for the class, so I was glad to lead her here. We discovered something I had not noticed in my previous visit, which was that this church housed several skeleton hands. Who’s bones they were I did not know, but there were two visible, and a possible third hidden away in a golden box upon a shelf we could not see inside. It was a little creepy, but either way, we were awed at the golden detail of the church. I was glad to be back!


Once we left, the threatening storm clouds seemed scary, but we made it to the bus in time and headed back before meeting for dinner. Since it was Nicole’s birthday, we met in the common room before heading back to a pizza joint we had been to before, where we had eaten with Jackie’s artist friend. We were disappointed to find they were out of many items on the menu, but I stuck with the traditional pizza.

After dinner, after much confusing communication and not working phones, we waited around the Campo di Fiori for Isabel, who was there for her last night in Rome. Many others gathered for drinks, and she finally arrived with brothers in tow. We hugged and chatted for a bit, though I had been tired for hours, and sought to go home with Guerry. It was nice to see Isabel, even if only for a short time! After that, Guerry and I headed away from the square and towards the bus, making it home successfully after just one transfer. Blogging, showering, and heading to bed was my list of things to achieve quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment