Thursday, May 26, 2011

*Q&A, but Mostly just Questions

I have found that though Rome is not a new city for me, I am discovering many new parts about its culture and layout as well as new sites than before. My four days here three years ago were not enough. Though unlabeled museum sculptures and abstract ruins that just seem like some more rocks are bound to lead to confusion, my puzzlement is over something more cultural. The other night after eating dinner out, many of us could not finish our rich plates of pasta. We decided we wanted to take them home to eat later, only to discover that this is a very American thing. Not only Rome, but most of Italy as well as possibly Europe in general sees this action as something akin to, “oh those Americans.” Though we see this as a good thing, the notion is that takehome is actually kind of shameful.


Why? I can’t possibly see anything negative to it, so why is it such a cultural staple of embarrassment? Taking home food is free, it means you can have another meal or part of one without making or buying it, it doesn’t waste, and it’s even a compliment to the restaurant. Though that night we were provided with metal tins and some foil for our meals, and I was quite content, Jackie seemed to be embarrassed for the Romans. Though we tipped well, and received no odd looks from other diners, I wonder why no other country does this.

On the topic, I also wonder why Italians aren’t big on breakfast. When going to the supermarket, there was almost nothing to consider. There was also a lack of apple juice – one of my favorite drinks. Do they not have that either?

I’m not so sure I can answer these questions, though maybe during the rest of our time here I’ll be able to figure it out – we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment